Monday, October 15, 2012

Rwanda #3


The real highlight for me this trip has been to listen to former missionaries and EFM leaders who have visited the field a lot.  The history is very rich and full of miracle after miracle.   The danger and risk that is inherent while living in a country that is experiencing war is staggering.  I don’t think we heard half of the stories back home or really understood the depth of peril that the missionaries were in at times.  I am sure that they were trying to forget some of the trauma. 
Gary and Connie Young recounted many stories as we sat around the guest house in the evening or at the breakfast table.  I was struck by the many ways God obviously crafted an unforeseen way out, blinded eyes, or used unexpected relationships to smooth the way forward.  So many times of venturing into the unknown, uncertain about what they would find on the other end. 
Of course this is all centered on the continual message of God’s provision.  The stories make for great drama, but when it is your life on the line, the drama is so secondary.  With the stories came fresh tears,  and the repeated line, “God is faithful”. 
I was joking that my new business venture will be to lead tours of countries with U.S. State Dept. travel advisories.  I have appreciated the stories Matt Macy (Associate Director-EFM) and Dr. John Williams Jr. (Supt.-EFC-ER) have shared about various travels to mission fields.  They seem to have found some interesting and frightening situations, but true to form.  “God is faithful.”  How true.
Do I miss these God stories in my own life day to day?  I am so rarely in such dangerous situations or wondering about the threat around the next corner.  I am thankful for that of course, but it makes me wonder where I am tuning things out? What form does my faithfulness need to take in between those God sightings?  I am reminded that while my own story is very important, it is spiritually renewing to listen to, read and hear the stories of others who have seen God at work.  I feel like I have been immersed in those life-giving stories these past few days. 
Pictures are 1. Connie Young and Doris Ferguson(R) 2.  Gary and Connie Young 3.  Willard Ferguson.  All absolutely loving the time with old friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment