Friday, June 26, 2020

Marriage in the Days of COVID 19 #1

Marriage in times of COVID-19: Growing closer in these challenging times.
I think my hearing has worsened during the pandemic.
I have not read that hearing loss is a symptom of COVID-19 but it would be nice to blame it on something. I can think of reasons that hearing loss might be impacted: It's hard to focus, we are together so much that I don't hear Katrina, and I did have overly enthusiastic wax manufacturing happening in my right ear (true). etc etc.
But a gentle reminder has led me to believe that it might in fact be a "listening" issue more than a hearing issue.
Listening well is a choice. As you probably know listening well builds some good relationship results and prevents some not-so-good results.
1. Good listening tells the other person they are of high value. It is a loving thing to do. It is an important thing to feel heard. (I'm reminded of this as we watch the mess in Minneapolis this week).
2. Good listening prevents or lessens conflicts. No one is a perfect listener but active/intentional listening cuts down on the fights.
3. Good listening deepens relationships by helping us know one another more and more deeply. If you are a good listener, people feel safer sharing more deeply.
These and other benefits might be obvious but I don't always remember to listen closely and give my attention.
What about you? Are you and your partner finding listening to be a challenge? What gets in the way of good listening? What helps you remember to listen well? I'd love to read your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment